1. WHO Issues Plans to Combat Zika Virus
- WHO claimed that $56 million are needed to combat Zika virus. The disease has been linked to severe birth defects in Brazil and has spread to 39 countries.
- The funds would be used to fast-track vaccines, carry out diagnostics and virus control measures.
- WHO expects the funds to come from member states and other donors. The UN had declared the Zika outbreak, a global public health emergency on Feb 1.
2. Alien space particles damaging your gadgets?
- Glitches may be caused by the impact of cosmic rays Alien subatomic particles raining down from outer space are wreaking havoc on your smartphones, computers and other personal electronic devices, scientists, including one of Indian origin, say.
- Millions of these particles strike your body each second. This subatomic torrent is imperceptible and has no known harmful effects on living organisms.
3. Sumitra Mahajan to inaugurate 2-day South Asian Speaker’s summit at Indore in Madhya Pradesh
- Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan will inaugurate the two-day South Asian Speaker’s summit at Indore in Madhya Pradesh Speakers of six countries will deliberate on ways to achieve sustainable development goals.
- Summit is organized by the Indian Parliament and Inter-Parliamentary Union which is focused on Achieving Sustainable Development Goals in member countries. Representative from Afganistan , Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal and Sri lanka are attending the summit.
4. Madhya Pradesh launches ‘Mil Banche’ programme in all govt schools
- In Madhya Pradesh ‘Mil Banche’ programme was held in all the primary and middle government schools. Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan, his minister colleagues, public representatives and other dignitaries took classes in these schools to motivate children.
- After taking class, they urged students to adopt good virtues and set a big target for the life. He also shared his memories and experiences with students.
5. AirAsia signs MoU with Odisha Government for two-ways Direct Flights
- Malaysia-based low-cost airline AirAsia has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Odisha government to start two-way direct international flights from Bhubaneswar to Kuala Lumpur.
- The agreement was signed between Nitin Bhanudas Jawale, Director of Tourism AirAsia signs MoU with Odisha Government for two-ways Direct FlightsDepartment in Odisha and AirAsia Chief Executive Officer (CEO) Aireen Omar. The airline will begin its flight service from the Biju Patnaik International Airport by end of March 2017.
6. ISRO successfully tests its indigenously developed Cryogenic Upper Stage engine for GSLV Mark III rocket
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully ground tested its indigenously developed Cryogenic Upper Stage engine for GSLV Mark III at its Liquid Propulsion Complex at Mahendragiri in Thirunelveli district of Tamil Nadu.
- The C25 stage is the most powerful upper stage developed by ISRO and uses Liquid Oxygen and Liquid Hydrogen propellant combination. The development of C25 cryogenic stage will provide ISRO capability to launch four ton class satellites in Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit.
7. NALCO signs MoU with TERI for sustainable rehabilitation
- Odisha-based National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO) has signed Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) in New Delhi.
- The objective of the agreement is to Scientific, technological and educational activities in the area of mining rehabilitation. The agreement will further strengthen initiatives being undertaken under Sustainable Development Framework (SDF).
8. PV Sindhu Attains Career-Best Rank at No. 5 in BWF Rankings, Saina Placed at No. 9
- Indian ace shuttler PV Sindhu achieved her career best Badminton World Federation (BWF) women’s single ranking by being placed at 5th spot Previously the top seeded player was placed at sixth position.
- The only second Indian to be placed among the top 10 spots is Saina Nehwal who has PV Sindhu been placed at No. 9.
- The BWF women’s single ranking has been topped by Tai Tzu Ying of the Chinese Taipei.