1. The Next Indian President of India
The fate of the two presidential candidates Ram Nath Kovind and Meira Kumar will be known in just 3 days, the polling for Presidential elections 2017 has begun at 10 am by today.
776 MPs and 4120 MLAs will decide the result in a secret ballot.
BJP nominee Kovind reportedly is likely to sweep the election with 70% of electoral college backing him.
2. DIG Roopa who exposed ‘VIP treatment to Sasikala’, transferred
DIG for Prisons in Karnataka – D. Roopa, who has exposed the ongoing corruption in the Bengaluru Central jail, has been transferred to traffic and road safety department by the Karnataka government.
The move was made only days after Roopa exposed HN Sathyanarayana Rao, DGP Prisons of receiving Rs. 2 crore in bribe to provide special treatment to AIADMK general secretary VK Sasikala.
3. RBI doesn’t received note-counting machines
It has been recently revealed that the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) is still waiting on 10 note counting machines from abroad, to count millions of old Rs. 500 and Rs. 1000 notes collected during demonetization
According to sources, the orders for these machines were placed in 2016 and not having them has significantly slowed down the counting process and indirectly affected remonetization.
4. Defence Modernization: Forces demand for Rs. 27,00,000 crore from GoI
To carry forward India’s geo-strategic interests forward and handle threats from Pakistan and China, the Indian Armed Forces have asked for an allocation worth Rs 26.84 lakh crore over the next five years (2017-2022).
The budget plan for the same was presented at the Unified Commander’s Conference held on July 10-11, after extensive consultations with stakeholders including the DRDO.
5. New Consumer Protection Law will be brought up in Parliament
A new law, to replace the current Consumer Protection Act, 1986, will be introduced in the monsoon session of the Parliament.
The Consumer Protection Bill, 2017 aims to strengthen the consumer protection mechanism post GST. This would effectively put an end to the unfair methods applied by certain businesses which curb the rights of the consumers; and to address their grievances.
6. Wimbledon: Federer wins record eighth title
Switzerland’s Roger Federer created history after he has won the 2017 Wimbledon men’s single title after defeating Croatia’s Marin Cilic in the finals.
Federer won the match 6-3, 6-1, 6-4 in 1 hour 41 minutes to go past Pete Sampras and William Renshaw’s record of seven Wimbledon singles titles.
His last title at the Wimbledon had come five years back in 2012.
7. Mukesh Kumar Jain appointed MD & CEO of Oriental Bank
Mukesh Kumar Jain was appointed as the managing director and chief executive officer of Oriental Bank of Commerce.
• He is at present the executive director in Punjab and Sind Bank.
• The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved Jain’s appointment.
8. Railways Launches ‘SAARTHI’ App
Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu launched a new integrated mobile app “SAARTHI – c” for passengers.
• This new app will allow passengers to book tickets, enquiry, on-board cleaning and ordering meal on a single platform.
• The new SAARTHI app also includes features such as safety for women, complaint facility and suggestion for improvement.
9. US House passes Bill for strengthening defence ties with India
The US House of Representatives has passed a $621.5 billion defence policy bill that proposes to advance defence cooperation with India. An amendment in this regard was adopted by a voice vote by the House as part of the National Defense Authorisation Act (NDAA) 2018, beginning 1 October this year.
10. India’s first solar-powered 1600 HP DEMU train launched:
Indian Railways has launched the country’s first solar-powered local train with a battery bank facility that ensures sufficient power even in the absence of sunlight.
The entire electrical need of the coaches, which includes lights, fans and information display system, will be met by the energy produced by solar panels fitted atop the coaches of the DEMU (diesel electric multiple unit) train. The train was launched from Safdarjung railway station last week.