Hello friends, This is the Updates of Current Affairs 21 March 2017. This will helpful for tackling General awareness section in SBI, IBPS, SSC, UPSC Exams.
1. Sun Pharma’s Dilip Shanghvi appointed as member on RBI’s western board
- Sun Pharmaceuticals managing director Dilip Shanghvi has been appointed by the central government as a member in the western area local board of Reserve Bank of India.
- The appointment is for four years with effect from March 11, 2017, the central bank said on its website.
- Shanghvi joins Enam Group chairman Vallabh Bhanshali on the western board. Last month the RBI appointed Prasanna Mohanty on the RBI’s southern local board, Vallabh Bhanshali on the western local board and Sunil Mitra on the eastern local board also for four years.
2. World Oral Health day
- World Oral Health day is being observed 20th March 17 to ensure good oral hygiene habits.
- World Oral Health day is observed on 20th March every year with the aim to highlight the importance of oral health.
- The theme for this year is “LIVE MOUTH SMART”.
3. Ex-Gujarat BJP MLA set to head Safai Karamcharis Commission
- A former BJP legislator from Gujarat is set to take over as the new Chairperson of the National Commission for Safai Karamcharis (NCSK), which has been headless for about a year.
- The government has cleared the names of Manhar Valjibhai Zala as the Chairperson, and Manju Diler from Uttar Pradesh and Dilip Kallu Haathived from Maharashtra as members of the NCSK.
4. Punjab to reserve 33 per cent government jobs for women
- The congress government in Punjab led by Amarinder Singh decided to provide 33 per cent reservation for women in all government jobs.
- This was among many decisions that the state cabinet took in it’s first meeting.
- the reservation would also apply to contractual appointments of women in government jobs.
- the representation of women in Panchayati Raj Institutions and urban local bodies would go up from 33 per cent to 50 per cent.
5. ICRISAT and ICAR join hands for crop improvement
- ICAR and ICRISAT (International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-Arid Tropics), recently signed an agreement in New Delhi, in which climate-smart crops, smart food, and digitalisation of the breeding database were identified as some of the core areas of research.
6. Solar Energy Scheme for Small Powerloom Units Approved
- The Government has approved a new scheme to provide financial assistance or capital subsidy to small power loom units, for installation of Solar Photo Voltaic (SPV) plant, in order to alleviate the problem of power cut and shortages faced by decentralised power loom units in India.
7. Shahid Afridi appointed ambassador of Blind Cricket World Cup
- Former Pakistan all-rounder Shahid Afridi has been appointed as the ambassador for the fifth edition of the Blind Cricket World Cup.
- The announcement was made by the Pakistan Blind Cricket Council (PBCC)
- fifth edition of the tournament, to be played in ODI format, will be hosted by PBCC in the United Arab Emirates and Pakistan in January 2018.
8. Low participation of women in urban area
- India has said there is need to improve the significantly lower participation of women in the workforce in the country’s urban areas.
- It is estimated that nearly 120 million Indian women, 80%of the total female workers, are employed in the rural sector.
- This is around 30% of the total number of workers in rural areas.
9. Indian-American Computer Scientist Anshumali Wins NSF’s CAREER Award
- An Indian-American computer scientist, Anshumali Shrivastava, was honoured with the National Science Foundation’s prestigious CAREER Award for his research on redesigning current machine-learning processes.
You can also read Today’s: