Hello friends, This is the Updates of Current Affairs 31 March 2017. This will helpful for tackling General awareness section in SBI, IBPS, SSC, UPSC Exams.
1. C Palanivelu received the prestigious Dr. B. C. Roy Award
- Gastroenterology and laparoscopic surgeon Dr C Palanivelu received the prestigious Dr. B. C. Roy Award from the Indian President, Pranab Mukherjee, under the ‘Eminent Medical Person’ category
- The chairman of GEM Hospital, he is the fourth doctor from South India to win the award for the second time. He had received the award in 2005 under specialty development category for laparoscopic surgery.
2. Iskon’s Govardhan Eco Village gets Water Award
- The Govardhan Eco Village of International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) at Wada taluka has received an award instituted by Water Digest, a news portal on water management.
- The Goverdhan eco village received the award last week in the “Best Water NGO-Water Education” category.
3. Sunaina Singh Appointed Vice Chancellor of Nalanda University
- President Pranab Mukherjee has appointed Sunaina Singh, currently head of the English and Foreign Languages University (EFLU) in Hyderabad, as the new vice chancellor of Nalanda University.
- As per rules, the president has to choose the vice-chancellor from a group of at least three names forwarded by the university’s governing board.
4. Indian-origin Priti Patel be awarded Pravasi Bharatiya Samman award
- Priti Patel, the UK Government’s Secretary of State for International Development and first ever UK-India diaspora Champion, has been awarded India’s highest honour for members of the Indian diaspora.
- The Pravasi Bharatiya Samman award was granted to Patel by the President of India, Pranab Mukherjee, for her exceptional contribution to national and international politics, her role in strengthening UK-India relations, and for supporting the Indian diaspora in the UK.
- The award was presented to Patel by the Indian High Commissioner to the UK, Mr Y K Sinha, at a special ceremony at India House in London.
5. Pakistan constructs the fence along the Afghanistan Border
- Due to the increase of tensions between Afghanistan, the Pakistan started to construct fencing along the Pakistan-Afghanistan Border. Both the countries share 1500 miles which is an internationally recognized border called Durand Line. Also, Pakistan Military forces are also ready to take part in protecting the country from Afghanistan.
6. Mining banned in Uttarakhand
- The Uttarakhand High Court ordered a complete ban on mining activities in the State for four months.
- The move comes 4 days after a forest worker was allegedly killed in Ramnagar while he was chasing the mining mafia.
- The court directed the State government to refrain from granting any fresh licence, US NATOmining lease, reconnaissance or prospecting licence till the committee submitted its report.
7. Montenegro weUS-NATOapproval
- Montenegro officials welcomed the US Senate’s decision to ratify its entry into NATO, calling it a great step for the tiny Balkan nation.
- NATO has 28th Member. Montenegro is set to become NATO’s 29th member following the Senate’s overwhelming ratification.
- Russia has been accused by Montenegro of trying to stage an election day coup in October to try to keep the country out of the alliance.
8. A deal for Hydrocarbon project in Neduvasal – by the Indian Government
- The Indian Government has made a deal with GEM Laboratories. The main aim of the deal is to construct a project related to Hydrocarbons in Neduvasal, Tamil Nadu. This information was provided by the Union Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas.