During your job search, you might encounter times when you are in need of information about an organization, a specific position or geographic location. In this case, you would write a letter of inquiry. In the letter, you request the information needed.
- A letter of inquiry is sent by itself. Your resume should not be enclosed. This can hurt your candidacy if you should contact the same organization in the future. Remember, this is not an application letter.
- Even though you are requesting information from the organization, it may be appropriate to share information about yourself and your strengths. Remember that it should be provided in the context relevant to the information requested.
- This may be your first contact with a potential employer. Therefore, it is critical that this letter be well- written and targeted to the organization in question.
- Often times organizations cannot immediately respond to various requests. You should close your letter by stating your intended method and time line for follow-up. Then be sure to carry out your actions.
- NOTE: Due to legal issues, many employers will not accept unsolicited resumes and letter. If you are inquiring about job listings or the application process, it is suggested to view the employer website, and if you do not see a “Jobs” or “Career” section of the site, call or e-mail to find out where openings are listed. With on-line applicant systems, individuals may be able to apply for positions without seeing specific positions listed.
Students often ask if they will receive acknowledgment by the employer after sending a letter of inquiry. Be aware that since you will be sending an unsolicited letter, you may or may not receive a response. However, these letters do demonstrate to an employer that you are taking a planned, organized approach to your job search. This can be impressive and encouraging to employers.Letter of Application – Explanation and Sample Letter Download Pre – Interview and Pre – Screening Letter – Explanation and Sample Letter Download Interview Confirmation Letter – Explanation and Sample Letter Download Post Interview Thank You Letter – Explanation and Sample Letter Download Job Offer Clarification or Acknowledgment Letter – Explanation and Sample Letter Download Job Offer Acceptance Letter – Explanation and Sample Letter Download Job Offer Declination Letter – Explanation and Sample Letter Download Networking or Informational Interview Letter – Explanation and Sample Letter Download ]]>